With the rise of flexitarians, plant-based meat substitutes were developed to be as meat-like as possible, but had a long and complex ingredient list. Now that the category has exploded in popularity, Gen 2.0 consumers are increasingly interested in meat alternatives with a simpler, more recognizable list of ingredients. Taste, texture and a meat-like dining experience are even more important.
Introducing CP Kelco’s New Line of Multifunctional Meat Alternative (AM) Solutions for Formulating Plant-Based Burger and Sausage Alternatives
- KELCOGEL® MA-60 Gellan Gum acts as an alternative to methylcellulose. It adds spiciness and texture for a pleasant, meat-like cooking experience. Moreover, it is very easy to work with and user-friendly, producing a less sticky dough to form hamburger patties. Gellan gum, made by fermentation, is already considered a go-to functional ingredient for solving plant protein issues and is widely used in plant-based dairy alternative beverages.
- For more juice, GENU® Pectin MA-50 can be used in combination with KELCOGEL® MA-60 Gellan Gum or another gelling agent. Our pectin is recycled from spent citrus peel, a by-product of the juice industry, and is an easily recognizable, user-friendly ingredient used in a variety of foods and beverages.
- GENU® MA-1 texturizer is a multifunctional solution that provides a juicy texture as well as a hot and cold bite, allowing for a more robust formulation and a meat-like cooking experience. It’s a blend of carrageenan, an extract of red seaweed, and methylcellulose that could present an opportunity for those looking to expand their product line into plant-based sausages.
- NUTRAVA® Citrus Fiber Boost is a clean, label-friendly fibrous ingredient that can replace starch in plant-based meat alternatives. Made from sustainably sourced citrus peel, a by-product of the juicing industry, it stabilizes emulsions and provides water-holding capacity that increases cooking yield and juiciness.
“Our launch of this new portfolio of plant-based meat substitute offerings is an exciting step forward in our rapidly evolving program focused on the development and innovation of alternative protein products,” said Robert Dunnsenior director of marketing and alternative protein program manager.
“What’s remarkable is that the innovation came from our existing portfolio of gellan gum, pectin, carrageenan and citrus fiber. We built on the strength of these proven natural ingredients and our talented team of scientists to meet the growing market need for cleaner alternatives to methylcellulose and starch, the two primary ingredients used in plant-based meat substitutes,” Dunn added.
In addition to innovations that will help developers of alternative protein products today, CP Kelco is also collaborating on next-generation solutions outside of our current portfolio that will accelerate the shift to a more sustainable food system.
About CP Kelco: Unlocking Success Powered by Nature®
CP Kelco is a nature-based ingredient solutions company with approximately 90 years of experience working with food, beverage, consumer product and industrial manufacturers worldwide. We apply ingredient innovation and problem solving to develop custom solutions that leverage our regional knowledge and meet manufacturers’ goals to meet consumer needs and preferences.
- Single wallet. Produces an extensive range of high quality, plant-based and fermented ingredients to formulate tailored solutions.
- technical excellence. Offers close collaboration with a global team of scientists and application experts, leveraging our state-of-the-art regional R&D facilities.
- Durability. Committed to sourcing responsibly sourced and produced ingredients.
- Market overview. Understands market and consumer trends to help customers create relevant and innovative products.
Key product lines include Gellan Gum, Pectin, Xanthan Gum, Carrageenan, Diutan Gum, Refined Locust Bean Gum, Microparticulate Whey Protein Concentrate, Fermented Cellulose and our latest innovation , NUTRAVA® citrus fibre. Learn more at www.cpkelco.com.
SOURCE CP Kelco